The debate about whether online classes are good or not has been going on for a while now. Today we will be understanding some advantages and some disadvantages of online classes.
ADVANTAGES OF ONLINE MUSIC CLASSES
- Easier to attend: Sometimes it is difficult to travel to your music lessons. Online classes are convenient to attend. You could just switch on your laptop sitting in any corner of the world and you will be able to attend your class. All you need is a stable internet connection. These classes can be altered according to your schedule since you don’t really have to stick to strict business hour. It gives you full control of your time and schedule.
- Wider reach: It is true that online classes do have a wide variety of teachers and musicians, therefore it has a wider reach in terms of getting you a good teacher. Not everyone has a good music school in their neighbourhood. This gives them a chance at learning quality music.
- Cost-effective: Since online classes are flexible for teachers as well as students and they work and learn from the comfort of their house, the prices of online classes are relatively cheaper. So, if you are looking for a cost-effective way of learning music, then opting for online classes is your solution.
DISADVANTAGES OF ONLINE CLASSES
- Lack of physical guidance: Music requires you to have a perfect posture. Since the teacher cannot have a proper look at your posture it is likely that he won’t be able to correct you. In fact, sometimes teachers teach you various techniques by physically moving your fingers and hands so that your playing is perfect. They can definitely not do this over an online class.
- Lack of Discipline: We all know how important discipline is to learn any instrument. Since there is a lot of flexibility for both teacher and students in an online class, it is a possibility that there would be a lack of discipline. Physical presence of a teacher is different than having them over a webcam. An in-house traditional music lesson has better discipline as compared to online classes.
- Network issues: Lack of Wi-Fi means no class at all. Even though most areas today have a high-speed Wi-Fi connection, but there are places which face frequent power outage. This leads to discontinuity in classes and will hamper your overall growth. In fact, a lot of people still don’t have access to phones or laptops, therefore, online classes aren’t inclusive of every population.
We discussed some pros and cons of online music lessons. Some pros might be just the thing for you or some cons could be a deal breaker as well, depending upon what you expect out of your training. Different people have different goals and hence they would choose different methods. But before choosing any method of learning go through the above list and check what method will help you achieve your goal faster. Weigh the pros and cons, then make an informed decision.